1. You will develop personal goals with your group facilitator(s) about what you want to work on in group, which may be revised over time. If the group is not moving in the direction you would like it to move, please let the group know how you would like it to change.
2. It is normal to feel some anxiety as you talk about your personal feelings, thoughts, and experiences with others. Share these difficulties or concerns at a pace that is comfortable for you rather than forcing yourself to disclose too quickly in group.
3. The more you actively participate in group, the more benefits you’ll receive. Group can be a place to experiment with widening your comfort zone.
4. When you have reactions or wish to offer feedback to something another member says, it can be helpful to share those feelings in group directly with the person. A good way to do this is to use “I-statements,” such as “I can relate to what you are saying because I also feel afraid when….” etc.
5. Consider the roles you play and your actions. Some of us tend to act similarly in many situations (e.g. patterns of withdrawing, responding with aggression when feeling vulnerable, being the peacemaker, the care-taker, etc.). People will often act in group much the same way as they do with other people in their lives. By observing yourself and others in group, you can learn more about the patterns and roles you tend to take on.
6. We make every effort to begin and end on time. We also ask that you be on time to the sessions, and if you have to be late or miss a session due to an emergency, please call 609-771-2247 to leave a message for one of the facilitator(s) or email the facilitator(s) at ________@TCNJ.edu. If only a limited number of members appear for the group session, at the discretion of the facilitator(s) the session may be cancelled for that week.
7. You are making a commitment to yourself and to the other group members to participate for the entire length of group when you join. If, however, you decide to leave the group before it ends, please inform the group and allow a minimum of one week’s notice.